Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Long Weekends and Gentrification






Or maybe the other way around, I'm not sure yet.

I know it's been a while and I've been just dying to get back on here and spill out all the fantastically crazy shit that's been running through my head back and forth right. Well I figure it's about time that i start it off with something a little bit less foolish and crazy. So here goes.

This past Friday after a thrilling basketball game where my Boston College Alums and I defeated the heavily favored and Heavily outnumbering us University of Penn in overbills. The best part was I only had like 4 points, not a great showing, but damn I'm outta shape. Ok I haven't even gotten to the serious shit yet (Be patient bitch!). So I went and met the lady out at this spot on 11th & Kenyon NW, DC. This is an area of the city I had been goin to since I was maybe 3, since my old Dentist Dr. Bishop's office was a block over. So when I pull up on Kenyon, I'm automatically blown because all I see around me is this and this and even some of this. Keep in mind the entire neighborhood use to look like this and lots of this here. So as this is all hitting me in the face I'm thinking what in the hell kind of place am I walking into. Then I get to the door, let the bouncer check the ID, as some trendy Rock comes blaring out of the spot while I approach what hits me even harder is the STENCH of smoke! It was like a damn mist of foul smelling tabacco run-off. So at this point, I'm iodized (Salt Faced) with the Angry Black man face on. Walking through the crowd to find my lady. What I see is hipsters, and scenesters that have taken over this once middle class black neighborhood. Keep in mind this is like 7 blocks up from Howard one of this country's finest HBCU's yet this neighborhood is almost entirely comprised of 20 -30 something white kids. Anyway I get in the spot, I'm blown because of the smoke and the atmosphere, but I did get a chance to say Happy Birthday to my guy Dylan(If you're me, it's pronounced Die Lan). So we sit in the downstairs area for about an hour just completely miserable from the smoke. I'm searching for an escape from the cigs, but faintly I hear the unmistakable Horns of TROY so I'm like oh shit time to head upstairs. That's when it opens up like Moses. The fans are pumping so the air is nice and fresh, and as soon as we get up there the DJ throws on some good old Digable so you know your boy is fuckin lovin it. The Maker's in hand and we set to partying. The rest is strictly just a good ass time. I'm still blown that everything West of Petworth is all white, but whatever I ain't living there so what am I gonna do.


The next morning, I was on a plane to the great state of Rhode Island. Yo some of you may sleep on Rhode Island, but honestly I have a great time out there just relaxing and being able to take life a taste slower than we do here in the DC Metro area. The Dupouy family is always welcoming and they are genuinely great people. My Lady's parents are such great parents and even better people. I seriously think these two need to go away from everything that life has given them for about a year! They are in the midst of applying for Sainthood, well that would be if they were religious. Anyway I spent the entire weekend eating and drinking. Seriously I had a healthy diet of D'angelo's Italian and likka it was quite the fun time. Outside of that completely bogus day of football that we will no longer mention until next season ok? That's what I thought you punk ninnymuggins.

Well last but certainly not least I had a great dinner of Cajun Catfish, Yellow Rice and salad. It made my life better. On top of that LOST is on this evening. I don't know if ya'll know or not but I am obsessed with this show. I am into all the conspiracy theories and everything. Who knows I might start featuring something from the show each week. Well naw that might take too much effort. Anyway it's on 2nite, and this is a picture of me and some of my people from about 2 years ago. Notice I am drunk off that Hulk!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home